Re: Re: Demo advice

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:53:14 -0400

"Robin D. Laws" wrote:

> At 10:28 AM 4/26/00 -0800, Thomas McVey wrote:
>
> >But it is heavy on the role-playing element. So I'd advise using the
> >100-word description character creation system, to get the players into
> >the swing of things.
>
> To make an Uber-point, I'd advise against generating characters
> in any demo for any roleplaying game. Pregens are the way to
> go. If, at the end of a session, you have time to chat, and the
> game has an unusual chargen system (as HW does) it might then
> be useful to explain it in brief.
>
> The goal of any demo should be to give the players a good time.
> Teaching the system is secondary. If they have a fun time,
> they'll buy the game and learn the rules at their leisure.
>
> Take care >>> Robin

I agree completely. I've been doing RPG demos for AEG and SJG for the last 5 years and pre-gen is the best way to get right into the action. And it also sidesteps a lot of 'what do I do now'? questions.

Less headaches, the better. That way you can concentrate on answering questions on how to play the game (and more basic character questions when they get their pre-gens). AFTER the demo, you can field questions about the finer points character construction.

Jeff