Re: masteries [dead horse]

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:34:03 -0500

I've always considered the Mastery rules to be a very elegant implementation of an essential Gloranthan concept: the difference between Heroes and ordinary folk. The Mastery special is somewhat broken and, if one or more contestants have a target number below ten, I generally add ten after all Masteries have been subtracted. Mastery subtraction should be applied to supporting characters as well, something the rules seem to overlook, and that helps control the AP inflation of multiple-wibble opponents. I usually set starting APs at the hero's TN after Mastery subtraction, as it speeds contests immensely. It's easiest to do everything as follows:

This requires a little more math but the Narrator can calculate all the numbers beforehand, assuming he or she is familiar with all the hero and character stats, which can make this a very simple process for the players.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and