Re: Inflation

From: moonbroth <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:03:08 -0000

>> Remember, they're guidelines for a typical champion, not an >> exact set of requirements like a RuneQuest rune lord.)

> IMO for players I've always avoided the "get this skill, you can
> take this role" sort of thing.

In our Greydog campaign, when my PC (Thorgeir) was recently elevated to a Weaponthane's status, he did a quick comparison of his existing abilities vs. those expected of most Weaponthanes, identified the few shortcomings (mostly re: ambushing, IIRC), and started spending Hero Points to bump those abilities up from scratch. It'll take time, but seems well worth the investment.

(Shifting his worship from Destor to Starkval using the TR rules also helped. But we have never seen the keyword skill lists as "musthave' s", more as "odd-not-to's". Our campaign is admittedly odd, having been played for more than 10 years and gone through two or three changes of system before arriving at published Hero Wars, but them's the breaks).

Cheers, Nick