Hero Wars rules philosophy (was: 14 is a magic number)

From: charlescorrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:11:58 -0000

> I agree the rules as presented are bereft of any
> internal solutions, read as printed they are boring
> and repetitive. Everything is either an Augment or
> it takes off AP in an Extended Contest. The names
> are really irrelevant, the rules just move numbers
> around with no special effects other than on a few
> Secrets. House rules are necessary to create any
> sort of atmosphere or image of a fantasy reality.
>
> This, of course, appears to be a deliberate design
> philosophy, but hopefully HW2 will give more guidance
> and examples to help.

In my opinion, this stark bareness of the rules makes the game better in the long run because, once you get into the swing of it, you can describe the effects in a much more rich way. Yes, this means that it is conceptually hard, particularly when starting to play Hero Wars, to remeber to describe the effect being attempted before stating the AP bid and then after the roll describing what actually happened.

Probably misquoting "I prefer radio to tv because the pictures in my head are better".

In our campaign, we have no house rules that affect the operation of magic in extended contests (that I can remember anyway) and yet we have a lot of fun. We create our own atmosphere that is appropriate to us at the time. How else could we have handled (my favourite example and most atmospheric to me) my character diverting a blood sacrifice ritual into a quest challenge?

regards,
Charles