Re: Fumble vs Fumble

From: antalvarez2001 <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:45:59 -0000

> There ARE NO general rules in Hero Wars. It's either a feature or a
> lack of rules guidance, depending on how you feel about it.

Probably, we are using different meanings of 'general rules'. I'll try to explain (in my bad english ;-) the concept that I'm using.

-Of course there are rules in HW. We are talking about them. Of course, if I don't like a rule, I can change it for me (in HW and in all other games, i think).
-In HW there are few rules (IMO) and for me that's good. The context is specially important, so, it could be that I really like a rule 'in general' but, in particular cases, I don't apply it because it doesn't fit with the particular situation. Because that I said 'general rules' but not 'absolute rules'. If I have to inapplicate this rule in most situations, I prefer changing the 'general rule', for me. I don't know if it's the case, and that's the reason of my question.

> But everyone else listening can have a good laugh at you both, and
> keep reminding you of it forever after, permanently ruining your
> reputation.

I understand. The double fumble causes a very funny situation (for other people ;-) and everybody laughs at both forever. But I found more logical than, in most cases, my reputation is worse if my opponent uses against me a clever argument. So Fumble vs Fumble, in most cases could be a Minor Defeat for both. But the context of the debate may cause than the Defeat is more complete, if the Narrator decides so.

> You probably died of heart failure THINKING the poison was lethal.

I supposed I didn't know it was poison (for that reason I drank ;-). Well, I can feel a strange taste... But I think it must be more usual dying because the potency of the poison than dying because the fear.

> Tree breaks, you fall to your death.

It has sense. But I think that the resistance of the tree, in that case is not its hardness but its 'difficulty of climbing'. If a tree could break more easily, I will put a higher resistance. So I found a bit strange than a fumble of the resistance means that the tree breaks.

¿And the magic?

Well, I'm sure that you can found very good reasons for [almost] any kind of contest. But my problem is that I think that 'Minor Defeat of both' it's probably more common in most number of cases. Well, really, the problem is that i'm not sure ;-)

> Allowing any character to just die because of any single simple
> contest roll IS unfair.

Well sometimes you may die for a single simple contest and sometimes not, it's depend of the context. So, you have reason, you could die because the rolls+the context not only because the rolls . But it doesn't change my question ;-).

Regards and 'rethanks',

Antonio