Re: Re: Fumble vs Fumble

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:23:16 +0000

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:54:17 -0000, "antalvarez2001" <antalvarez1976_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the examples, but could it be the general rule for any
>kind of simple contest?

There ARE NO general rules in Hero Wars. It's either a feature or a lack of rules guidance, depending on how you feel about it.

>For example, in a discussion, my opponent can't profit my terrible
>mistake, because he has a very bad day, like me.

But everyone else listening can have a good laugh at you both, and keep reminding you of it forever after, permanently ruining your reputation.

>Drinking poison: If I don't have a ability of 'Resist Poison' with
>mastery, I think it's easier for a letal, instant poison of potence 2
>to provoke my death that a poison of 20 or 1W.

You probably died of heart failure THINKING the poison was lethal.

>Climbing trees, stealth vs perception, making feats 'against the
>world'... In all those cases, the Fumble vs. Fumble result looks odd
>for me. I have been 'destroyed' because the Fumble of my opponent!

Tree breaks, you fall to your death. Opponent trips over you because neither noticed the other. etc.

>The player that has suffered a Complete Defeat may think that this
>rule is unfair (specially if his hero is dead).

Allowing any character to just die because of any single simple contest roll IS unfair. A Complete Failure need not be lethal, even in combat, and even if there is no-one to heal you (remember, the result is 'dying', not 'dead'). The opponent may want to capture, drive off, or humiliate the opposition, not kill them, for instance. Your 'Complete Failure' means what you wanted has failed utterly, what he wanted has succeeded completely.

Wulf