Re: Becoming a Devotee

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

epweissengruber:
> What house rules/requirements are people using to determine if their
> PCs get to be devotees?

So far it's been the default in my games (bordering on the compulsory). Notionally I'd give people a choice, especially if future rules versions actually make the 'choice' seem any less of a no-brainer.

> (oh yeah -- convince the priests and cult spirits you are kosher as
> well)

Really it's a matter of "convincing" the _god_ (or establishing a relationship with same), really. Obviously the magical support of the local muckity-mucks would be very handy, but in principle you could do this entirely by yourself (especially if you were already initiated). It's not a social thing, to any large extent, I don't think. (Unlike positions like Earth Priestess or Storm Voice, which significantly are.)

> What might be a good benchmark for determining Devotee status?
> - all the cult's affinities at 1W?
> - a cult skill at 1W?
> - a cult virtue at 1W?

Might not be a bad idea, just to underline that these latter are actually magically important. Though I'm hestitant to make it impossible for a starting character to be a devotee (other than by escalating starting TNs another notch).

> - undertaking a quest in the service of the cult?

I don't think the _cult_ is necessarily either here or there.