Re: The number of devotees in a clan

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:37:13 -0500

HW-Rules Digest wrote:

James Hawkins wrote:

>But don't the devotees go off on heroquests,
>where they emulate their god, to secure even
>greater benefits?

Heroquesting is part of being a devotee, and is subsumed within the 40% time requirement for being one. Here are my rehashed worship requirements, based on the rules from pages 65-69 of THUNDER REBELS and a rereading of the Heortling sacred calendar:

[1] Communal worship requires a half-day on each of the Twenty-Eight Days (mentioned on page 105 of THUNDER REBELS), for a total time commitment of 5%.

[2] Initiatory worship requires a full day on each of the Twenty-Eight Days, a half-day on each of the forty weekly holy days and fourteen days of mundane temple duties, for a total time commitment of 20%.

[3] Initiates of two subcults of the same aspect must commit an additional 5% of their time, for a total of 25%. Initiates of two subcults of different aspects must commit an additional 15% of his or her time, for a total of 35%. Dual initiates are uncommon.

[4] Initiates of three subcults of the same aspect must commit another 5% of their time, for a total of 30%. Initiates of three subcults of different aspects must commit another 15% of their time, for a total of 50%. Triple initiates are rare.

[5] Devotional worship requires a full day on each of the Twenty-Eight Days and each of the forty weekly holy day plus forty days of mundane temple duties, for a total time commitment of 40%. Devotees can initiate into other subcults *of the same deity only* subject to added time commitments as in [3] and [4] above.

>Or do only devotees of adventurous gods go
>heroquesting?

We know that there are heroquests for many, if not all, "non-adventuring" Heortling gods. We have "Chalana Arroy Heals The Scars", "Ernalda Feeds The Tribe" and "Uralda's Blessing" from KING OF DRAGON PASS, which fit the bill, and "Lhankor Mhy Seeks The Truth" and "Issaries the Conciliator" as well.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and