Re: Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:32:03 +0800

At 9:27 PM +1200 10/4/02, Peter Metcalfe scribbled:
>Nick Hughes:
>
>> > How does a humakti manage to chop off his foe's head, break his
>> > weapon and smash his shield? Since they are incompatible actions,
>> > I think that only one +10 bonus would be effective from the three
>> > feats, depending on what the Humakti was trying to do in the current
>> > phase of the extended contest. If he wasn't trying to do any of
>> > the above then he gets no bonus for the feats.
>
>>"The Humakti contemptuously parries away his foes' blow shattering
>>their scimitar in doing so. With a fanatical grin he continues the
>>gleaming greatsword's swing around in a great blow that cleaves
>>straight through the Lunar's shield and bites deeply into their neck
>>decapitating[2] them."
>
>>There, that's "just" a standard attack/parry combination for a single
>>action.
>
>I count three different actions myself (We aren't in BRP anymore,
>Dorothy).

        Yes. In BRP, its two actions (well, actually, three, but one from the opponent). In HW, its a matter of taste.

>I just think that allowing all active feats to count is wrong.

        I agree with the principle, but simply limiting active feats is going to much simpler and fairer in play, and not really lose much.

> >Quite how anyone
>>ever has the time for that many augments is another matter entirely,
>>anyone damn fool enough to give the Humakti this much time for his
>>augmenting ritual deserves the death they will surely receive.
>
>The time required is only eight rounds. I'm sure many Humakti
>could find this amount of time to prepare before combat at least
>some of the time. Do their opponents still deserve death?

        Well, its bad luck for those Humakti who can't participate in ambushes. But yes, it makes the advantage of time to prepare to be quite overwhelming for those with high affinities. And I agree its a bad thing.

	Cheers
		David