Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:14:38 +0100

I wrote:
> Wesley's *concern* is
> that allowing multiple augments before the contest begins *might* be
> a problem for game balance.

[and suggested we work on addressing that concern rather than changing the augmentation rules in general]

David Cake replied:
> Allow augments after the first to only act as edges. It
> works from the maths point of view, works from the game balance point
> of view.

Except that your rule affects *all* augmentation, not just the situation when a character has can set up an unlimited number of augments before the contest. As several game years of play shows that the augmentation rules are generally not broken, suggesting a wholesale change to them is inappropriate.

And what do you mean about 'from the game balance point of view'? The problem to be solved is the unlimited number of augments possible before the contest. Whether those augments cause a bonus or an edge does not change whether those augments are game unbalancing (or boring). Are you saying a +W3 bonus would be terribly unbalancing (and boring roll) but a +120 edge would not? ROFL

Restricting augments to edges is a bad idea, I think. It limits the character's options. Edges can be a poor representation of some augments. For example, augmenting with 'Blindingly Fast' arguably improves offensive and defensive ability. Is that an offensive edge, a defensive edge or a bonus? I'd say a bonus. In the original example (Humakt Sword and Death affinity), offensive edges probably *are* the best representation for many of the possible augments, but not in the general case.

Also, the maths of handling edges is a bit of hassle (so contra your claim), to the degree that some groups don't bother using them at all, or use them only when this seems 'important' (to be fair, someone applying a hefty edge augment had better be 'important'!).