Re: Re: Automatic augments: no more ranks?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:36:15 +0100

Wulf Corbett wrote:
> I see no problem with that, in fact that was my only immediate
> criticism - how do you get a Greatsword? You need Greatsword 5W -
> buying one as an ability would only give you Greatsword 12, with a
> measly Rank^2! Not many people would start a character with their best
> ability a piece of equipment!

If the Greatsword was represented by an ability, the player could elect to use that ability in a contest. Likely, they could use that ability in many situations where they could use Close Combat. There is little game mechanics difference between Close Combat 5W augmented by a Sword 1W and a Sword 5W augmented by Close Combat 1W. Making your best ability an item need not be a bad choice, either conception, power or rules wise.

Is Harrek's best ability the cloak on his back?

> You know, I really DO like this... I know we just agreed to double all
> weapon/armour Ranks for our campaign, Andrew Graham, but have a think
> about this instead :-)

Before you rush in, remember that this is merely a suggestion by me; it has not been play tested.