Hero Cults in Storm Tribe

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:30:44 +0100 (BST)

I've been thinking about the rules for hero cults in Storm Tribe (p.17), and in particular the rules for expanded hero cults.

I may be confused, but I find the description for worshipping a hero cult without abandoning the main diety counterintuitive. Storm Tribe suggests that the cult acts as an aspect, and not a subcult. Yet published cults tend to represent subcults as minor deities or heroes, which makes more sense to me.

For example if I wanted to worship an 'expanded' Alakoring Dragonbreaker, it makes more sense to me that it is a new subcult of one of Orlanth's aspects, with its own affinity and secret, not a new aspect of Orlanth.

There seems to be some objection in the write up about learning the secret of the hero while you still worship the main diety. I don't understand this 'problem'. To get the heroes secret, if he was treated as a subcult, requires devotion to the subcult and you cannot devote to more than one. I suppose the intention could be to limit you to feats/affinities provided by the hero and not allowing you ones from an aspect of the main deity, but this seems to break the way existing subcults, who are formed from heroes work.

Anyone like to illuminate me on this riddle?

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)

"They were seven in all, and therewithal both sides rushed into the fight. Thorarin slew a house-carle of Thorbiorn's, and Alfgeir another, and there fell also a housecarle of Thorarin's; but no weapons would bite on Odd Katlason. Now the goodwife Aud calls out on her women to part them, and they cast clothes over the weapons." The Story Of The Ere-Dwellers Chapter 18

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com