Re: Delayed Magics (again)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:31:38 -0700

> Just for fun, let's say the trigger condition on this delayed magic is
"whenever I swing the unsheathed sword at someone."

Okay, now *you* are the only one who can use this effect, so you can't loan it to a friend. You can't *not* use the effect if, for some reason, you didn't want to, if you swinf the unsheathed sword. Finally, some nasty narrators might claim that you couldn't use the effect for thrusting, as the condition word is "swing".

> If the smith completely defeats the resistance, "the spell is permanently
embedded...and may be triggered over and over again." That's all for a cost of 0 HP, and a resistance of 14W.
> Nor does this humakti actually have to be a smith to do this effect.

Only 1-use delayed enchantments don't require HP to cement; permanent delayed enchentments require 1/2 HP for played out/between episodes (middle of 234).

The effect is "set" - you can't add HP to get a better "delayed magic". If you want an sword with ^12, you have to go through the whole process again.

> BUT, if the smith wins, he has to spend a hero point to cement the item.
Ouch!

As noted, he has to do it for a "permanent delayed magic" item as well.

> AND the item doesn't start with that ^4--it starts with a Target # 12,
much worse. Ouch Ouch!

But it can grow in power with the expenditure of HP, unlike PDM items.

> By the way, if the target number on a new enchantment always starts at 12,
how are Great Items of Magical Power ever forged?

By HP expenditure (or quests, or directed HP - "That sword killed the Red Emperor in one shot? Wow, +10 HP to the sword!")

RR