Re: HP bumps.

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 11:14:33 -0000

> Alex Ferguson wrote:
> > What's the concensus on this? Are HPs a purely Narrative thing?
An
> > entirely game-world thing? Or some squishy combination of the
two?

> I think that HPs are not at all a 'game world' thing. Making them so
> would open a whole can of worms (how many hours training to increase
> from 20W3 to 1W4?), so I'm strongly against doing so.

To my mind, the bump ups that characters get do represent game world factors. Hero Points are a game mechanical construct that we use to controll the way those game world factors manifest.

Some players spend hero points profligately on bumps. Thier characters are far more successful than their apparent abilities would indicate. In Glorantha, their friends might wonder if this is luck, fate, or divine favour. Note that luck and fate too are real, personified forces in Glorantha.

Simon Hibbs