Re: Extended Advocacy

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 12:16:21 +0100 (BST)

Charles Corrigan wrote:

>Frequently, narrative declaration can be used.
Player: "I want to kill the lone guard silently so he cannot raise the alarm".
Narrator: "Done. What next?"

We use this a lot more now - partially when a hero wants to accomplish something that is not a significant obstacle for the narrative. I see it as falling under the 'things no hero should fail at'. A routine task that has no 'screen time' just is not rolled. Sometimes with characters with abilities in the W2 range, where a success is all that is required, and the degree will not impact the story, we may drop the roll or simply ask for 'anything but a 20'.

Some of its also dropped to achieve narrative compression. If we were playing out the adventures of a thief then when he was an apprentice we would be rolling to sneak past the guard. But after a while it just gets dull, so when he becomes a master thief it becomes: 'OK, your in the vault'. BA gives this kind of advice for cattle raiding. Once you have done it a few times � skip to the significant story element of this raid. Look at how say the Buffy series handles Buffy on patrol. At the beginning Buffy on patrol is the story. Later if we see Buffy on patrol, it is because the an element of the story happens while she is on patrol.

As always, YGMV.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)0207-337-6217 (W)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com