SV: Fw: Invisibility and Making Affinities

From: Erik Sieurin <erik.sieurin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 07:32:47 +0200

Robin D. Laws:
> Most of these [potential game-breaking effects] are controllable under the HW system because it
> allows for/relies on degrees of success.
I agree. Games that do that (and not just give you a binary success/failure result) are my favorites; much easier to GM.

> Whereas invisibility is not only problematic, it's
> binary -- either you succeed in becoming invisible, or
> you don't. The degree of success only comes into play
> for the effect's duration.

As people have said, it need not be binary. Just like I would govern illusory disguises, only a very good roll would be without flaws a perceptive opponent would detect:

*You can be seen in a mirror.
*Your shadow is visible.
*You are visible when people are not looking directly at you - then you fade from view (the classic "corner of my eye thing")
*Anyone who actually _cares_ to see whether someone is there has a fair chance of spotting you.
*(classic D&D) I you do something extreme, like attacking someone, the ability's effect on people's minds ("He is not important - ignore him. Ignore him. Ignore him.") stops working, and survival instinct screams that you are really there - dodge, dodge I say!
And so on.

Erik