Re: Edges

From: Jonas Schiott <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 19:50:09 +0200

Sorry to contradict you, Peter. :-)

> In that case the AP gain should be ^/2 (since the rule book states that
> +1 bonus= +2 edge). But since AP are *not* bonuses, I don't see how the
> augmentation chart has any relevance.

Well, comparing the difficulties from the augmentation and AP lending charts gives +1 bonus = +2 edge = +5 AP. So weapon or armor rank times 2.5 would be the equivalent under current rules. Which is neither here nor there, really - the important thing is that the new rules work, not how closely they model the old ones...

> In fact, Edges are a way to add AP even in the current rules.

You mean Bonuses are a way to add AP, don't you?

As someone else mentioned, equipment lending AP means they're irrelevant for Simple Contests. I can actually see how this might be a feature, not a bug. When a hero is just getting an inferior opponent out of the way quickly, it doesn't really matter if he's using his Magic Sword, his bare hands, or a leg of mutton. If the Narrator has deemed it a simple contest, that means it's not crucial to the story, so window-dressing like equipment must be even less important. In the final confrontation with the arch-villain (an extended contest), however, every little bit helps. Sometimes it might even be important in story terms to have the right piece of hardware.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg