Re: Accumulator Contests

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 10:44:22 -0000

> What you could do is to aim at having the Complete Victory (4 VP)
but
> with the right for the contestant having more VPs after round to
stop
> the contest at any time.

Surely that will depend on the nature of the contest? If the contest is me trying to escape from some people chasing me, it hardly seems fair for me to be able to escape them after only gaining 1 VP?

In combat perhaps the combatant that's winning might be able to break out of the contest, but as is often the case with extended contests, we can't always make generic rules about contests that will apply in all situations, without abstracting away a lot of relevent game world and narative factors. Missile combat is a notorious, and much debated example. Trading is another.

I'd look at the player's statement of intent first. 'I attempt to knock my opponent off ballance, and use the opportunity to get away'. I'd probably allow a player to do that if they won 2 or more VPs in the next exchange and are drawn for VPs at the end of it, or if they get 1 VP in the exchange and are winning.

Simon Hibbs