Re: Negative AP and vampires

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:15:50 +0200

Benedict :

> > Shouldn't vampires gain AP in Close Combat (and maybe magical combat)
> > even if their opponent is already defeated and negative?...
>
> No. Why on earth introduce a special rule for vampires? Special rules
> are a Very Bad Idea in HW, in my opinion. Why? Because players can
> give their characters ANY ABILITY THEY WANT. How can you justify a
> special rule for a vampire's 'Drink Blood' ability, and not a
> player's 'EWF Scrying Crystal'?

I agree.

Also, I think that the perception that Vampires are somehow "special" is basically a holdover from RuneQuest, and the rules bugs vampires were subject to in that game.

> I suppose you are trying to model APs as blood level. This is wrong:
> APs are not Hit Points or Blood Points.

Except, of course, when they are ...

The way forward, as in AR, is of course to simply write a few words of advice in the Vampire write-up (and Vivamort "cult") on how to handle various vampiric features (blood-drinking ones frex, blood craving, etc).

Julian Lord