Re: Sense Runic Power

From: Roy Wiseman <RoySubs_at_...>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 10:40:41 +0200

> >Is there *ever* a circumstance when a magician using something like Sense
> >Runic Powers could ever detect Illusion?

> No. Have I made it clear enough?
> Exceptions to this are the stuff of story: exceptions, challenges and
> defiant realities.

Yes.

> >Since the effect of the Illusion is
> >in essence to create a manifestation in reality of another Runic Power,
then
> >for instance, it would seem to follow that any magical effect which is
> >capable of discovering the Runic associations of an object or person
would,
> >if directed at say a Trickster or a shrine to Eurmal, see only a void
> >without any Runic ties?
> They would see the runic cration that the Trickster made, not a void.

Ok, understood, I meant it in the case where the Trickster did *not* make a runic creation. ie. I was thinking that a Wind Child is in a way tied to the Air rune and a Boggle met on a Heroquest would be tied to the Disorder rune and, to a lesser extent, a human who worshipped Malia say would be tied to Chaos (though he was not born with that association to Chaos). By the same token, I would have thought that a Trickster or a Trickster shrine would be tied to the Illusion rune, so if someone magically sensed on an Orlanth worshipper or a Storm Bull, they could detect Motion or Death respectively, and if someone magically sensed the runic ties of a Trickster, would they be able to detect the *tie* with Illusion, or not? If the answer is Illusion is undetectable then that is fine, so the answer would be someone who detects the runic ties of a human Trickster would see only the man rune and someone who detects the runic ties of a stone shrine to Trickster would detect nothing (or maybe the Earth rune since it is a stone)? I'm ok with the runic creations of Illusion being real manifestations of other things and have no tie to Illusion at all, but the runic ties of a Trickster shrine or a Trickster worshipper is what I was wondering?

> It would absolutely be able to detect the Lhankor Mhy Truths.

I'm fine with that. Lhankor Mhy Truths are not Truth itself (which is gone and unknowable), but is then the difference that although other gods can wield their various aspects of runes such as Truth (such as Humakt / Lhankor Mhy etc.), the Trickster is the last real connection to Illusion remaining on Glorantha and so a direct connection to the original rune and partly for that reason so uncontrollable and dangerous?