Re: Sense Runic Power

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:16:29 +0200

Simon :

> You seemed to be implying that Heortling Lankor Mhy guys are unable
> to comprehend (a), and so therefore are (b). While I'm tempted to
> say that all Heortlings are clearly (b), I don't think that HLM guys
> consider facts determined by their magic to be fake truths, and
> so at least have a chance of comprehending that cows created by
> magic aren't fake cows.

IMO the (very interesting) Truth vs Illusion ontological discussion belongs on the GD, not on this list, despite the fact that Greg started it (here).

But, the LM guys are essentially archivists, cow-spotters, and librarians ; having no profound link with Absolute Truth that might let them see through Illusions with a blink of the eye. They're more the type to catalogue the Illusion as an interesting phenomenon/fact/event than to question its Reality or Non-.

I doubt there are many Heortlings with any meaningful Ability to tell spoons from non-spoons ; but there must be quite a few Lunars.

> Sure, of cousre they'll see a distinction. magic that determines
> the cows history,

Cows suddenly appearing from nowhere : Burn Them !!!!! :-)

> or divines it's future

Burn Them to Ashes !!!!

EVIL CHAOS BEEF !!!!!
> > > Illusion is the other side of Truth, not the opposite of it.
> >
> > I'm not hearing the difference.
>
> They are opposite ends of a spectrum, and therefore do not
> necesserily negate or cancel each other out in all cases.

IMO, that is an entirely false understanding of the issue.

As false as the GLs' own understanding.

At the very least, this is a ternary grouping of Truth, Reality, Illusion.

But ultimately, Truth and Illusion are like oil and water. As a negative definition, an Illusion is something that _cannot_ be proved to be Real/True : but because of the Compromise, .everything Real contains both some Illusion and some Truth : but there are exceptions, such as the absolutely non-illusory nature of truestone and adamant, for example, or some of Eurmal's most disturbing tricks.

> In
> evidence, I'd point out that everything in Glorantha appears to
> have it's opposite, yet it still exists and bits of it don't
> spontaneously vanish from time to time. e.g. water and fire
> produce steam, not nothing. So truth and illusion transform each
> into new permutations, rather than disappearing into the void.

But Truth and Illusion aren't Elements.

Julian Lord