Re: Re: Sense Runic Powers - an example

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:04:04 +0100 (BST)

> Using "Illusion Powers" to disguise yourself would be to not just overlay a
> person's face on your own, it would be to actually make a physical change
> your face's bone structure, skin solor, hair color, etc. for the duration of
> the magical effect (which *could* be quite substantial).

I can't see how this is "Illusion" in any runic sense at all; it's Change, which just happens to have in this case a deceitful effect.

> (I'm not a fan of the "Cosmic Clock" theory that an illusion's
> 'lifespan' can be measured)

I can see no grand cosmological reason why this ought to be _impossible_ (especially if one is of the "Yes, but" school of thought); its difficulty is certainly a matter of taste/conjecture/opinion.

> Is the name a bad one for the power? Probably. It is certainly confusing (as
> evidenced by this thread), especially to players of Other Games who run into
> Illusory Walls or Dragons that can be disbelieved. The more traditional
> "Overlay"-type magic really requires a different name - "Disguise" magic, or
> "Glamor" (not to be confused with "Glamour, the Lunar Capital") or something
> similar.

That would be even more confusing, since for example in A Certain Other Stafford Role Playing Game, the term "Glamour" is similarly used for "temporary magical creations".

> True "Greg-style, Make a bit of Reality" Illusion magic should be a rare
> commodity

Indeed, which is why this discussion seems a bit odd in the abstract, without being particularised to who is doing this, what the nature of their magic is, etc.