Re: Abilityscales

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:10:15 +0100

>While it�s clear that a wildliving animal will never be "trained",it still
>could have skills than could be called superhuman.Argumenting,that a snake is
>very quick and thus it�s attack would deserve a rating of
>"heroic"e.g.something in the W3 scale.So my question is:to what do ratings
>relate?Is the scale accordant to all phenomena�s in the world or do they
>relate to human�s only?

The numbers in AR don't really work - it was published a bit early in the games history, before people really got to grips with how easy it was to have characters with 'run fast 3W2' and such. Treat the numbers there as more akin to the old runequest idea of fixed intelligence - it allows you to know how the different animals relate (as it is pretty self consistent) but for actual use in the game, you really ought to make up numbers that are correct for your players, the story you want to tell, whether you want heros who can outrun a horse (and if they have W2 in it, why not?), etc.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson