Re: Worldscale (was Abilityscale)

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:02:06 -0000

> A beginner hero could take on a lion with a good chance of winning.
I can believe this of a weaponthanes but not of a starting character. But that's my vision of Glorantha

Hmmm, a beginner hero in HW with a 5W skill is reasonably good at something, not 'skilled' sure, but give them a stout spear and a brave heart and IMG they should stand a good chance of holding off a lion. The reason people are posting that the number depends on the story is that your perception of the chances of a hero being able to beat off a lion is a feature of the stories you want to tell. How tough should it be in your story. So adjust your numbers accordingly. Want it to be a lot tougher - the sure add a mastery to your numbers. But I doubt there will be an official change because AR is a reference point not an absolute - you need to get the feel for the values you want - adding a mastery is as equally wrong for someone ese's story. HW doesn't work on absolutes. (That said my heroes chickened out of running with the bulls at Wintertop Fair last night, and the bulls only had the stats given in AR. Most of my players have not increased 'natural' running beyond starting levels).

> Why isnīt a horseīs RunFast ability something like 5W4?????
A humans Running and a Horse's Run Fast are different abilites. Use Run Fast when comparing a horse with another horse; if your comparing it with something else then give what your story tells you are approporiate modifiers - how high a skill do you want running as fast as a horse to be?

A lot of pain and suffering has been caused by the perception that there are absolute values in HW, that you could take a character's running score and create a lookup table to MPH. IMO it just does not work that way. It is 'feeling' for how good an ability is, a guideline, not an empirically measured quantity. Think fuzzy.