Re: House Rule: Divine Strike

From: giangero <giangero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:03:53 -0000

Ah, OK. I see. Never mind: I really appreciate the criticism.

I assure you that I imagined the scene and then invented the rule needed to support it.

The scene (one to be played still and maybe never) involves a major patron NPC who is a disciple-level with W3 and W4 in plenty, and who uses the DS (TM) in the underworld to maim/escape-from Krarsht herself (probably from the inside of her lovely mouth). But in doing so he frees himself and the playing heroes at the cost of severely weakening his magic permanently (a sort of HQ challenge without the benefit of acquired skill). I needed a rationale that explained how he can do it, but probably not a technique to be used by sensible player characters.

Have you any rulesy mechanic that can explain this scene but equally discourages player heroes from doing that themselves (apart from saying that it is a secret of a strange cult blah blah etc. etc.)?

I am open to alternatives (not being convinced of the value of the DS technique myself)

Ciao,
Gian