Re: Heroquest ritual bonus

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:43:43 -0000

Charles,

Remember there are different type of ritual. The Arming of Orlanth and the like allow a certain level of support to be given to the quester, but I think this applies to acting as a community champion not an hq.

For an hq, the community participation bonus comes from the chart (I use BA's seeking support rules for the player heroes attempts to gain different levels of support). A pre-heroquest ritual, such as a mundane re-enactment of the quest prior to undertaking a quest is defined in the narrator's book as providing carryover (sorry don't have a page reference handy). I like this aspect as it can be a great plot-hook prepare the items for the ritual that happens pre-launching into the other side. I would set the carryover by the resistance i.e. the more difficult the rites, the bigger the carryover bonus...

We do do it this way now (well at least since Orane's Spindle, which was the first sit down carefully and figure it out hq I ran)