Re: Re: 'Simulationist' Wound/Combat system for HW?

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 21:25:24 +0100

Julian Lord wrote:

> Going for wounds is a good tactical option where many weaker
> characters fight few strong ones, or where several groups succesively
> assault the PCs.

It's just that if the strong one has a high fighting ability, I still view it more direct to take his AP. But I won't defend my case to the death :)

> Basically, it all boils down to a difference in style between
> narrating either long, extended conflicts or quick, decisive ones. If
> your house style tends toward the latter, the Wounds rules are fairly
> irrelevant.

Hmmm. Indeed, in two years play, we never had a conflict with more than a dozen round (at most, for a fight truly magical et heroic). But I never had to narrate something involving whole army units either... Clashes between small units of a few dozens of persons, maybe.

> It also boils down to being mostly a GM tactic, but not a player one

Indeed. I think I will try to use it, just to test. Do you want me to tell my players the suggestion is yours, for the next time you come and sleep in my house ? :p

David Dunham :

>And if you were fighting someone with a lot of followers,
> it might make sense as well.

Indeed also, I see that now. hmm.

Philippe