Why did it last so long ?

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 00:33:57 -0800 (PST)

A billion thanks to everybody for the unvaluable advices on the cave-in Krarshti scene.

Last Saturday we played it.

It was exciting and *very* dangerous. I don't like to fudge. One of the heroes run out of HPs to save his monkey pet/dependant and was crushed. The player was shocked but the other players (after sacrificing several HPs to try and save his hero) blamed him and his bad assessing of the real risk. Even my (in game) attempt via a powerful NPC (Cleaver Csar) was futile. In the end the NPC was going to give his life in order to save the doomed hero, but the player said: no, Csar is more precious to our cause than my hero, my hero gives his last APs to Csar and then lies down.

A big, dramatic event, as expected: the party was sorry for the crushed hero, but relieved because a major Krarshti temple was annihilated.

Just a minor trouble: the whole scene (running through 7 stations in the tunnels, avoiding falling rocks, kamikaze Krarshtkids and trying to push/drag forward the unluckier heroes and followers) took more than 3 hours of real time.
These are the mechanics I adopted:
The actual space covered by the fleeing heroes was a couple of kilometers in the underground. For each station I played an attack action by the cave (from a starting trembling 6 ability, steady increasing to a final and deadly crushing 10W2 ability: the cave bid all his APs in each round, 6 the first round, 50 in the last ones; the cave had infinite APs in reserve: the only way to win was move out of the seven stations) and then an action by the heroes (trying to flee to the next station or to free blocked comrades or to remove obstinate Krarshtkids from their way with appropriate bids or merely simple contests).

I know it is very difficult to answer, but I expected to resolve the contest in half the time (1,5 hours of real time):
Why did it last so long (retorical question)?

ciao,
Gian

Yahoo! Mail Plus � Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now. http://mailplus.yahoo.com