Re: Question on affinities

From: Peter Tracy <bachelornewtling_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:06:53 +1100

><flynnkd_at_p...> wrote:
>> If you had (to be absurd) 6 different combat feats(affinities), all
>> at level 20, could you apply them all to your close combat skill at
>> the one time. I know only one physical augment is allowed, but
>> several magic ones ??
>
>Yes, you can , providing that they are all "relevant" - You might have
>difficulty if you are a Babeester Gor Devotee using "Slashing Blow"
>and "Hurl Axe" as Augments at the same time, or as a Humakti using
>"Weapon Destoyer" and "Shield Destroyer" when fighting wolves.
>
> A suggested rule of thumb IIRC was about three, but it's whatever
>you feel comfortable with. Just remember that if your PC's always
>sucessfully augment to +10-12 then just make the enemy about that much
>stronger (either naturally or through augments of their own) to
>preserve the "dramatic balance". It can be fun to augment up to a
>couple of masteries so even your failures are criticals, but a game
>without challenges soon looses it's appeal.

Both the Games {a/b}I played in had limit of one Aug/Affinity for initiates, limiting us to about 3 augs for magic. Seperate feats could also be used once. Devotees were much scarier,'cause they could aug once per feat in their affinity (ow!). Physical Augs were considered always on (at {a}1/8 or {b}1/10 by GM) if applicable. GM {b} allowed auto mental and personality Augs too. GM {a} in the end set a total limit to magic augs to three from any source, but you could augment magic (So if you spent the time to augment you magic first, it would augment better!). We could hit he 10W3 mark sometimes (by incarnating a hero too). But still be underpowered compared with the enemy, who still sometimes had 3-13pt advantages (sometimes low masteries) on us. Its really upsetting when the enemy has also multiple use healing and self-ressurection magics.

Then again, with all augments up and running and every rort and obscure magic trick and favour called in, we still spent 30HP on the final session to succeed (12HP in one mano a mano combat#). We acheived what we wanted and incidentally took out a major Pavic power at the same time. The only bad part is that we couldn't really win until the bad guy ran out of HP. 'Luckily' one PC had hoarded 6 sessions of HP for the impending battle, and other PC's spend HP on him earlier to wear him down. Anyone else have this problem, someone a few digest ago compares HeroP to HitP, where they were your real guage of how well your character was.

#(Bear in mid we use a scaled experisnce system, those 12HP in a normal game could have bought a extra 12 skill levels, but in our GMs system only two! 12 skill levels is a lot.)