Re: more D10 consequences

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 00:25:49 +0000 (GMT)

Keith:
> Seems to me that if I decide that each level of mastery doubles ability
> rating then I get:

> Adding Y (treasure, for example) to X (current
> wealth, for example):

> Increase from following table
> X-Y=11 0 the bauble is not worthy of your
> treasure chest.

Notice that in this case, the "bauble" is worth only a little under half your current "net worth". (!) So in fact, it ought to increase it significantly.

> X-Y=10 +1
> X-Y=9 +2
> X-Y=8 +3
> X-Y=0 +10 to larger number. The treasure
> equals your worldly
> possessions and your effective wealth is doubled.

That's doubling every 10, though, rather than every mastery. (The former seems more reasonable, though, anyway.)

Working that assumption through, though, we should get a table more like the following:

X-Y =

 0- 1:  X+10
 2- 3:  X+9
 4- 5:  X+8
 6- 8:  X+7
 9-11:  X+6
12-14:  X+5
15-18:  X+4
19-24:  X+3
25-31:  X+2
32-48:  X+1

49+ : X

Gian:
> If I Recall Correctly a mastery of advantage
> mathematically speaking means 5x (in a logarithmic
> approach).

That's actually pretty close to the above, since obviously if +10 means doubling of effect, adding a mastery means quadrupling. Tweaking the above for quintupling every +20, though, you'd get the following:

 0:    X+9
 1- 2: X+8
 3- 4: X+7
 5- 7: X+6
 8-10: X+5
11-13: X+4
14-18: X+3
19-25: X+2
26-39: X+1

40+ : X

I suspect an incoming "too much maths!" spate of replies, but in effect we're simply talking about a 10 (or 11) line table. (Or less, if you want to make it more "lumpy" by just having, say, +10, +8, +5, +3 and +0 entries.)

Cheers,
Alex.