Re: Spell Matrixes - sorcerous? Enchanting? Healing potions?

From: reinierd <reinierd_at_...> <reinierd_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:31:07 -0000

HW really does not lend itself to tactical gaming. It works best (in my limited experience) when the focus is on story telling and mythmaking,  and players accept that they won't out-tactic the narrator because the narrator will always set the opposition to a level which will give them a good challenge. So you may find that it is not a good system for your group.

One of the things I enjoy most in the rules is to take an affinity (say, Death) and really think about what that means mythically, and use it to come up with new feats. For example: Kill Flame, or Separate Life from Death, or (this is a push, and might have nasty side effects) Quench Thirst. This might appeal to power gamers and tactician as well. Since players can use affinities to augment as many times as they want (assuming there is time), this does reward tactical creativity.