Broad abilities with sub-categories (Was Re:Dodging)

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...> <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:05:21 -0000

In which case, please don't change anything. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

> I have not detected in my game abuses with ability names (and the
> abuses are relative, because they depend of the problems that the
> Narrator puts in the episode). People try to define his character
in
> the description, not to became super-powerful. Surpringsly, the
same
> players have tried to find 'holes in the rules' in another games
> which have more complex methods of character creation.

Hero Wars works best when everyone in the gaming group reaches a consensus about what their characetr abilities mean and how they will be used in the game. If your group's consensus varies from anyone else's, that's not a problem.

All I'm discussing here is genric rules that we can then adapt to the specific requirements of our games. In one game Dodge might be a broad ability with several sub-skills. In another game Dodge might be a sub-skill of Close Combat. You might even have two characters with both those choices in the same game, accepting that those abilities mean different things. The specifics are not realy what I'm talking about, I'm just talking about generic ways to handle the game mechanics for broad and narrow abilities in a clear and consistent way. At the moment there is no single generic way in the rules to handle broad abilities with sub-skills, only a few special cases (HeroQuest?).

Simon Hibbs