Re: Heroic Actions [Rant, OT]

From: miker19036 <miker_at_...> <miker_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:21:26 -0000

No, my players aren't die hard RuneQuesters. What they know about Glorantha, they're learning in the game.

> However, the new people who've never seen Glorantha take to the
> HeroWars system and its flexiblity with surprising ease. Its
> breathtaking and very inspiring to watch them go at it.

*sigh* I wish people would understand this. I don't know that many ways to say it. I don't have a problem with the SYSTEM. I have a problem with how heavy the setting has become, and how the connection between the prosaic background of the setting and its representation in the game is weak. I don't consider devotion of Orlanth Adventurous granting the Feat of Sunset Leap to be the "system".

> I fear I must disagree with you when I say that HeroQuest will be
> very beginner friendly.

Then will there be better support for understanding what ground the various magic and non-Earth mundane abilities cover? Once again, I don't have the benefit of growing up a Gloranthan with all its myths as my cultural makeup, so I have no way of knowing what various abilities derived from those myths are supposed to entail. But, there seems to be confusion on the part of people on what I mean by this. Allow me to use an example from Runequest. When I say I need a bit more description of various abilities, people seem to interpret that as I'm asking for "Sun Spear does 4D6 of damage to the target with only its thinnest armor providing protection." I am NOT. I'm asking for "Sun Spear calls down burning shaft of light from the Sun." That's not a "rule". That's a description. Put another way, I shouldn't pick up a gamebook (and these are supposed to be gamebooks, that's what they're being marketed them as), read it and wind up scratching my head wondering what an ability available to a character does.

I keep running into things in the game that stem from things developed elsewhere, but not explained, even briefly, within the game. I shouldn't have to go to sources outside the game material to understand the game material. I should only have to go to outside sources if I want more. For example, the ONLY reason I know what Wind of Above and Wind of Below are is because I've played King of Dragon Pass. To me, that's not "beginner friendly". If these things are being changed, then good. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it.

> But you're welcome to come to Gloranthacon in three weeks and
debate
> with us on that personally if you like. =)

Sorry, I can't make it.

Mike Ryan