Feat Use

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:27:56 +0000

>Yup, and these are usually just fine. Sword Help typically has
>lightings running down the blade, etc. I usually flounder with
>Decapitate Foe, but that's more my problem.

I'm not sure what the problem is here - decapitate foe is used to (attempt to) cut people's heads off. Or is your problem coming up with descriptions of the feat in action? In which case I'm not sure how HW is any worse than just about any other rpg out there.

> I think one thing that
>is really hurting here, for the abilities well-supported by the
>mechanics (jumping, final action-ish abilities, etc.) is with poor
>headings and lack to table of contents/index, it's hard to find the
>support in the book (so I'm usually relegated to winging the
>mechanics completely). I know this bit's being fixed, though.

Definately needs fixed! I've copied all the tables into a word file and printed out a few copies. Makes running the game much easier.

>Wind Above and Wind Below. I've found a few references for them, but
>they're outside the main book. Snarl Darkness. My main contention
>is that feat name as description is fine as long as there's
>sufficient support in the god's description to get a handle on it.

"I pin my foe to the ground using Wind Above"
"I knock the hawk from the sky using Wind Above"
"I lift that rock with Wind Below"
"I blind my opponent by Snarling Darkness at his eyes. Augment for +5"

All valid to my mind, and all of the top of my head. None of these seems the least bit poetic to me, and certainly not something I would have any trouble judging during a game. I'm not convinced I'm understanding your problems here. Perhaps a larger example?

>I feel that even with five different versions of a myth
>there should be some truth. But this is purely personal preference.

Yes and no. It is, of course, a perfectly valid preference. Unfortunatly it is one that is not very compatible with either HW or Glorantha. Perhaps this is part of the problem you have been having. I'm afraid that when you have a fundamental disagreement with the game's designer, going your own way is left as the only option.

Which seems a very negative place to leave things. Going your own way is a good thing! If you want to decide your own truth do so! It won't change my Glorantha, and the fact that the rule books define no truth at all guarantees you can't be proved wrong.

Realising that the rule books are always wrong (for some value of wrong) is very liberating.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson