Re: Feat Use

From: miker19036 <miker_at_...> <miker_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:23:27 -0000

It's the implementation of the feat in a contest. The problem boils down to in extended contests, everything is supposed to boil down to APs, and it's hard to fit that in sometimes. I have been able to work it in once, but that was a creature requiring decapitation to kill (it was used as a final action). I don't see this as a problem, really. It's just a matter of my picking out the right mechanical way of handling it.

> "I pin my foe to the ground using Wind Above"
> "I knock the hawk from the sky using Wind Above"
> "I lift that rock with Wind Below"
> "I blind my opponent by Snarling Darkness at his eyes. Augment for
+5"

> All valid to my mind, and all of the top of my head. None of these
seems
> the least bit poetic to me, and certainly not something I would
have any
> trouble judging during a game. I'm not convinced I'm understanding
your
> problems here. Perhaps a larger example?

Well, I've read the myth about Orlanth rescuing Heler from the Blue Dragon, so I wind up looking at Wind Above and Wind Below and asking "how the hell was I supposed to know that?"

Yes, yes, I KNOW I can can just make this crap up, but the whole reason I spend money on someone else's world is so that I don't have to make this crap up. And I am quite comfortable to make things up, but I'm finding myself having to make up more and more. I'm not having trouble grasping it, I'm simply not finding it to my liking for a casual game.

> Yes and no. It is, of course, a perfectly valid preference.
Unfortunatly it
> is one that is not very compatible with either HW or Glorantha.
Perhaps
> this is part of the problem you have been having.

This is very much my problem. There are times that I feel that the more I learn about Glorantha, the muddier it gets. While this property makes for interesting mythmaking, I find it less than ideal for a game that I'm trying to play for fun.

> I'm afraid that when you
> have a fundamental disagreement with the game's designer, going
your own
> way is left as the only option.

See my comment above about why to spend money on it.

> Which seems a very negative place to leave things. Going your own
way is a
> good thing! If you want to decide your own truth do so! It won't
change my
> Glorantha, and the fact that the rule books define no truth at all
> guarantees you can't be proved wrong.

This is fine if what I'm looking for is to define my own truth. I'm not. I'm looking for a good, well-thought-out setting that hangs together well so I don't have to make one. The more undefined Glorantha gets, the less utility I find it having in this area.

> Realising that the rule books are always wrong (for some value of
wrong) is
> very liberating.

If that's what you're looking for. Personally, I never feel constrained by things being defined. I'm more than capable of eliminating things I don't want.

This discussion is starting to get pointless. I appreciate your efforts, but you're trying to convince me to want something different out of Glorantha than I want.

Mike Ryan