Re: GURPS Glorantha

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...> <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:44:54 -0000

Simon wrote:

> Most GURPS setting books tend to be heavy on setting and
> relatively light on rules. This despite the fact that GURPS
> is quite a complex game system.

Or perhaps *because* of that fact -- if the game system already has every conceivable rule (albeit in generic form), you don't need many new 'uns in the setting books. (Hero Wars ought by rights to be at the other end of this spectrum, with just a handful of rules. I dare say it's in the "middle ground" that you'd find rules-heavy setting books).

> A GURPS setting book for Glorantha that was anything like the
> official GURPS supplements would have to contain enough setting
> material to risk infringing copyright.

Since Steve Jackson is now in bed with Greg Stafford... whoops! what an unwholesome image; let's rephrase: since Steve Jackson Games is now in bed with Issaries, Inc., the "risk" of copyright infringement could conceivably be overcome.

I quite agree that "GURPS BRP" would be rather uninteresting. I am not convinced that there is no longer a market for "RuneQuest-like" adventuring in Glorantha, though clearly Issaries, Inc. are making no effort to satisfy any demand for such.

Cheers, Nick