Re: Re: Playing Hero Wars [was an entirely inappropriate subject line]

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:41:07 +0000

>At the simplest level, [a feat] is +1/10th augment. But at several times
>it has also been described as a heroic action beyond mortal physical
>abilities. Sunset Leap (for eg) has been expressed as a capacity to
>make larger jumps, up to making godly jumps.
>
>My problem is how do you move from one to the other, and possibly in
>between. There is no effective mechanic other than storytelling
>preference. A narrative license such as this is extremely hard for
>me, and for my players, as we are mechanics (grease and all).

The rules distinguish magic from normal abilities by the resistance they face. A magical ability can only be resisted by another magical ability or by the default 14. (Remember all those range, etc. modifiers!) A normal ability can be resisted by anything. The classic example is jumping over trees - use your mundane Jump and you face the tree's 17W2 Tall skill, use a magical Jump and you face 14.

Now personally I don't like this rule, and don't use it, but then I don't care to distinguish between magical and mundane abilities. I see a high mundane ability (anything over W2, for example) as pretty magical anyway. I'd rather use the rules as written than your house rule, which seems to me to be an unnecessary drain on the players' precious hero points.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson