Re: Complete Successes

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:55:39 +0000

>It seems that a number of feat uses involve achieving a Complete
>Success. Now, conceptually, this makes perfect sense (i.e. to
>completely succeed at attempting Decapitate Foe means someone's head
>is rolling around on the floor). Unfortunately, in Simple Contests,
>these are a bit difficult to achieve. Not only does the actor need
>to achieve a critical success, but the defender needs to critically
>fail. While the actor can bump his result up to the necessary
>critical, he has no control over the defender's result. This can
>make a Complete Success very difficult to achieve.
>
>I seem to recall some very early discussion about HW2/HQ talking
>about bumps being able to "go around the bend," but I may be mistaken.

Yep, I recall this too. We've been using this rule for six to nine months now, and it has been a great improvement.

>So, will/how will this this be addressed in HQ, and what are people
>doing now? This hasn't been a big problem thus far, but I'm
>revisiting my use of the rules, and realizing that I need to use them
>a bit more (this makes sense, really).

The "excess bumps bump opponent down" is partially helpful, but only really for wiping our people you have a mastery or two advantage on anyway. In general if I'm only using a simple contest for something, I'll give the complete success if a major victory is scored. In other words, a boring fight (simple contest) can be won by scoring a major success on your attempt to decapitate foe. Not strictly by the rules, but seems to me to match the spirit - who cares about the detail (otherwise why use a simple contest?) you've rolled well, you get what you want.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson