Re: Re: Neat idea

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:11:43 -0800

> magic to heal your leg" and "After the initial shock, you find your leg
> isn't injured as badly as you thought. In fact, its just a graze."

The traditional quote is "It's only a flesh wound" :-).

Describe pain, but don't describe actual physical injury. "He smashes your leg and you fall screaming in agony" leaves open the "But it was only a flesh wound" option, whereas
grinding ends of broken bones is harder to explain away. Use weasel words and phrases: "It feels like...", "You think that your leg is broken..." etc.

On a side note, saw Daredevil yesterday. Darker than other Superhero movies, but fun. It left itself open for a sequel (of course). Lots of "magic" use in the fight scenes (Daredevil's acrobatics, Bullseye's throwing, Kingpin's strength, Elektra's martial arts, everyone's ability to shake off non-lethal damage). I really think that Superhero Quest is a fit for the system - Its the sort of thing that allows DD to wipe out a bar full of underworld types spraying automatic fire around, and still let the climactic battles be climactic. Of course, starting out at 5w in your best skill is right out - most super heroes should be w2 or better as starting characters. My favorite line from the movie came from Bullseye: "You made me miss!"

Roderick