Re: Re: Equipment

From: Peter Larsen <peterl_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:38:14 -0600

At 8:11 PM +0100 3/18/03, Alexandre Lanciani wrote:
>simon_hibbs2, simon.hibbs_at_...:
>
>> If the answer no, then the Troll's stats are only usefull
>> unmodified if you happen to be running an all-troll game. When
>> trolls turn up in a normal game, they always need to be modified.
>> What use are stats that have to be re-adjusted to the normal game
>> scale in 90% of play situations?
>

>If I'm playing a Heortling game, I guess that my characters 90% of the time
>will meet other Heortlings, not Trolls or Ducks.
>
>So what is it best, to modify the statistics of 90% of the people you meet
>AND to modify the statistics of the other 10%, too, or to just modify the
>latter?
	The best is, of course, not have have to modify much at all.
	An Uz with the ability "Strong 5W" should be about as strong
as a Heortling with "Strong 5W." If they arm wrestle, they should be roughly evenly matched, assuming that they don't have other abilities to augment with or use instead ("Big 15," "Clan Arm Wrestling Champion 5W2," "Terrible Breath 18," etc).

        Comparing hero to hero, this is pretty obvious, right? Now, it is true that Uz are, on the whole, bigger and stronger than Heortlings, which is why any UZ worth their shadow will have "Big" and "Strong" as abilities, while Heortlings, although they might have them, won't always. So, if you consider averages, an Uz group will almost always have a brute strength edge over Heortlings (and ducks will have a nimble in water edge, etc), but individual Heortling characters will be stronger (and maybe bigger) than individual Uz.

        Anyway, the upshot of all this is that there is no reason why you need a sliding scale at all -- Strong 15 is Strong 15, but more Uz have strong 15 than Heortlings so, on the whole, Uz are stronger. Right?

Peter Larsen