Re: Big, Small, headaches....

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:46:17 -0000

That sounds about right to me.

Three thoughts that might be a tiny bit useful to you on the size issue.

First, like others agreed, all abilities rate to how well you can use them in a contest.

Second, in my opinion every ability has an implied "for someone like you/ as you normally do things." So a male bison rider with "big 13" is big for a male bison rider, and his "close combat 17" is "close combat when you are mounted on a bison." In many cases, the automatic success rule can come into play when switching between species or environments. "The gap has a resistance to you getting through of 14" "How about my alynx?" "Oh, that is automatic." Or "Vadrus, the resistance for you to grab the bag off the ground as you ride by at full gallop is 1W." "What about me, on my bison?" "Oh, for you, automatic, it is a game to challenge ten year olds in your culture." (Note however that some people on the list vehemently disagree that all skills should be relative to the user).

Third, I think the automatic augment rule probably does a fair job of how to apply abilities to compare species sizes. So if you assume that the baseline for both small and big is 6 (though that is not clear in anaxial's) then a human with "small 13" would be about the same size as an average member of a species with "small 7."

--Bryan