Re: Walking 0w2

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:44:14 +0100

Roderick :

> I'd say that you have been improving your "Walk Long Distance" or
> "Hike" or "March" ability, which is different than your generic "Walk
> around the house" ability.

Just my experience of course, but from my POV I find that the main difference between the two is that there's a far higher Resistance number when Walking around the house or in a city street than when Walking along a hiking route.

You know, things like walls, furniture, other people, fast cars etc etc getting in the way all the time ... ;-)

Definitely when I started there wasn't much difference at all.

> Hiking/Long Distance walking is a large part endurance, part
> discipline,

Sure

> and only slightly "put one foot in front of the other".

... but disagree with this. I have found that it's VERY MUCH keeping on putting one foot in front of the other ...

Anyways, I personally think that Walk would resemble Run, in that you can have separate Walk, Walk Fast, Walk Long-Distance, Walk Like An Egyptian, Walking On The Moon, etc etc

Supposing I *did* once have a generic Walk skill at 0w2, and suddenly needed to do a Long-Distance Walk, what TN would I have, given my natural ability to walk ?

Let's say I succeeded, enjoyed the experience, and spent my HP on a non-generic Walk Long-Distance ability, what starting TN would I have ? 12 ? Would seem a bit miserly IMO.

I think that abilities like that should be at a standard 1w2, despite the cuteness of the 0w2 proposal, simply to avoid all the special cases the rule would appear to require ...

> wouldn't say that taking a 40-mile walk in a day is "something no
> self-respecting hero would fail at"

Agreed.

> - the Roman Legions expected 20
> mile (30 km) per day (fully loaded packs, though).

That's what you can expect of average walkers with fully loaded packs, so sounds v. reasonable.

Medieval long-distance walkers (pilgrims to be precise) were expected to do between 60 and 120 km / day, distances that would stagger a modern walker ...

> Walking around the
> house, on the other hand, *is* something that we take for granted
> (except when I have my -35 penalty for gout - I can get around, but it
> hurts like blazes, and it takes a *lot* longer - especially if I have
> to go up or down stairs...)

I just think everyone gets at least a -15 because of all the furniture etc.

Julian Lord