Walking 0w2

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:25:14 +0100

Roderick :

> Someone asked something like "What is the rating of an ability 'no
> self-respecting hero would fail at' " (e.g. walk).
>
> My answer: 0w2. (that's right, Zero with Two Masteries. Not Twenty
> with One Mastery)
>
> w2 - against the 14 of "the world" this gives 2 bumps - the hero will
> never fail or fumble. 0 - But he shouldn't be criticalling even as
> much as every 20 times he uses this ability. This *is* intentionally
> breaking the rules by using a 0 as a target number.

This is a cute idea ...

> HOWEVER!
... hmmmm, taking words out of my mouth ? ... ;-)

> So all creatures that walk have "Walk 0w2" as an ability.

I'm sorry, I'm a walker and this simply isn't true.

My experience with walking is that I have become more skillful at it over time, despite a physical condition that has generally worsened over the same time.

10 years ago I could walk about 25 km in a day, and had difficulty walking more than three days in a row.

9 years ago I learned how to increase my daily average walking distance up from 25 km to 40, but had difficulty walking for more than a week - 10 days.

7 years ago I could walk an average of 40 km/day over a practically unlimited period of time, with a maximum daily distance somewhere between 45 and 50 km.

2 years ago my average was the same, but my maximum daily distance was up to 65 km or thereabouts.

I have no doubt that with some extra work and experience, I could increase my average to somewhere between 45 and 50 km / day, and my maximum up to ... ?.

I also know that there are some people who can do an _average_ of about 120 km / day !!

... if only I had the time ...

So, IMO, Walking ought to be just another HQ ability ...

(but a "Human" keyword ought to give a basic Walking 10W or whatever, IMO, as a racial feature and specialty : it is after all one of our essential abilities, and one of the core reasons of our species' success)

Julian Lord