Re: Re: +1 per 10

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:47:44 -0500

Just butting in...

At 04:47 AM 3/27/2003 +0000, Nick Brooke wrote:
>The HeroQuest rules positively *encourage* this. And "automatic"
>augments don't usually require an action (as they appeared to in
>Hero Wars), while I think rolled ones do. So the balance does change
>significantly, and I rather like it.

The automatic augments not requiring an action is double-plus good.

>There's a cap on the number of *magical* augments you can use
>(three, usually), which is fine by me (and it's strictly one augment
>per ability, inc. affinities, in HQ... so the improvised feats
>problem goes away)

This took some finding in my HQ fragment, so my previous comment on doing this as a house rule was unnecessary.

>The only house rule I'll probably add is a cap of +20 from all
>augmentation attempts combined (mundane, magical, automatic or
>rolled-for). Keeps wannabe Harrek-killers and scenario-breakers off
>my back.

Some feedback on this cap from games I've played: In David Dunham's Jrusteli game at G-Con, I managed to come up with +6-+8 total bonuses from auto-augmenting, and that was with a starting level hero with mostly 13s. In my home HW game, the players have quested and maneuvered (politically and magically) to come up with greater than +20 bonuses a couple of times and they're just at the w2 threshold. Even with abilities boosted to around w4, they're still not about to overwhelm prepared enemies like elite Lunar units and Earthshaker Temple warbands, so it hasn't been an issue. Wannabe Harrek killers should be facing a Harrek who is as good or better than they are at augmenting.

Thanks,
Andy