Re: Re: Changes from HeroWars to HeroQuest

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:00:59 -0400

Hi!

> Oliver
>
> >I need animism unfortunately since one of the characters
> follows
> >Waha. Looks like I'm
> >going to have to wait since I can't tell what the
> differences are
> >between all the types of common magic, i.e. who has them, how
> they
> >get them, etc., etc.
>
> The revised animism rules are in the spirit of the old ones, but
> substantially different. (Integration, for example, isn't
> mentioned,
> though I'm sure it still exists somewhere in Glorantha.)

That's my understanding

> >These are well-established characters so it's not at all
> unlikely
> >that they're going to have more than one type of magic.
>
> It may actually be the other way around, and Dave would know how
> this
> worked in his HQ playtest. I'm not sure how players will make the
> tradeoff. At lower levels, I think the option of having more magic
> available, and a broader selection (e.g. a Humakti could have
> killing
> magic from Humakt and use common magic for healing) will mean that
> people won't specialize.
>
> But at higher levels your common magic skills might start to lag,
> and
> if they're thus less useful, you'd specialize (concentrate) in
> theistic magic (or animism, for your Waha-ist).

This is pretty much exactly how it worked out. They were all glad to be able to have magic outsite their god's (or spirit's) sphere of influence but after they got more powerful most decided to concentrate so as to be able to improve their magic more quickly.

Also note that concentrating magic is usually a requirement for becoming a devotee, shaman, etc.

Dave