Re: Re: Actual Play

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:53:04 -0700

> Where do myths begin?

At the very beginning, a very good place to start.

Sorry, channeling Sister Maria again. Out, Julie Andrews! Out!

> I mean, the Heroquest chapter talks about being able to end a
> Heroquest prematurely and even the possibility of a Heroquest going
> longer than you expect. Is it possible to come in at a different
> point? Consider the following:

I think that Joe Normal HQer can't do this. He'd have to "be" the spider from the beginning and bind Heracles to get to the "good" part.

But, there are non-normal HQers out there, who are brave enough and ballsy enough to "jump quests". Harrek & Arkat do/did this, and it's certainly something that player heroes should be able to do (in time, not necessarily as a 16-year old new character). My feeling that this sort of "shortcutting" of the myth is an extremely dangerous, though do-able, undertaking. Ambushing someone in the God World by taking over the mythic role of his opponent is known to happen (The Pharaoh), but did Jar-eel jump quests to do it, or simply run the companion quest to "Pharoah Resurrected"?

Note: Some/All quests have what I have just termed "Companion Quests" - the Hill of Gold is probably the best example - A Yelmalian running HoG can meet a Zorak Zorani running the companion Trollish HoG. These companion quests are how you realize that Jumping myths is possible - While on the "Delivering Cookies to Grandma" quest you encounter a Trickster, a Windy guy, a Healer, a Merchant, a Scholar, a Mortal man and a Spirit, and the realization comes: "Hey, the Dark Wood of Grandma's House is also the Forest of Sighs of the Lightbringer's quest!" On the other side of the meeting, your "Brave Girl defeating all the odds" is their "Frightened girl in need of help". The Two quests are "companioin" to each other. There is probably a companion quest for most stations of whatever quest you're on.

Anyway, back to the question...

So yes, it's possible, but difficult and dangerous, to jump into a quest "in the middle". How's it done? Hellifiknow. It's beyond the realm of the rules, so, like the Quest-jumping hero, ya gotta make it up as you go along.

RR
- Richelieu