Re: Re: Repeating heroquests

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:44:54 -0700

Graham Robinson <graham_at_...> wrote:
>> How do Practice Quests work here ? Are they only for personal
>> benefit or could you stop a drought that way ? (Obviously if it was
>> a major or magical drought that might not be enough).
>
> A practice quest can do anything you can do with a full quest, but
> not on the same scale. [...]

And it seems to me that you could also do the "in the temple" kind of heroquest to end a drought, yes? i.e. if a tribe has the "Freeing of Heler" holiday, their annual worship service might provide heroquesty benefits to fight drought. Ordinarily, I suppose this would just be subsumed into their guardian's abilities, but in a year with a bad drought, I suppose they could pump up the church service (spend more on sacrifices, bring in a high-powered god-talker, etc.), and run an actual contest of their community against the drought.

...or am I dead wrong here?

BTW, just to make sure I'm clear on this--it seems to me that there are four levels of heroquest:

HQ says that you can't repeat hero-plane heroquests, but you *can* repeat practice and worship quests. How about quests to the GodWorld? Can you repeat those? I'd expect "no", since (how to put this?) the GodWorld is even more "archetypal" than the Hero Plane. But the rules don't say...

BTW, were Harmast's LB quests (and Argrath's, etc.) in the Hero Plane, or in the GodWorld? I'd *assume* that Argrath's was in the God World (freeing Sheng from Lunar Hell means tackling their gods full on), but, of course, KoS pre-dates the new HQ rules.

(Perhaps Argrath's "quest within a quest" was at a higher level? That is, he did the LBQ on the hero plane, and asked the gods for Sheng as his reward. They said, "No can do, he's out of our reach." So Argrath used his reward as a bonus to repeat the entire LBQ, this time in the GodWorld, and *that* way he released Sheng? ...just a thought...)