Re: Repeating heroquests

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:39:34 -0000

> > I don't remember any limits on repeated Heroquests
> > in the KoDP game?

Though those quests also hae pictures of folks dressed up in costumes as Orlanth, Daga, and the like which is much more like what HQ considers practice quests. Practice quests are, of course, repeatable. So refinement of these ideas has occured, perhaps on the basis of what was MGF for each.

The full Orlanth vs. Aroka is god level. If the clan has a drought I would have suspected that a practice level quest was more likely, maybe community. If the tribe was affected you might try something hero level. But I would not want to do the full quest unless I had backing and a wide area was affected (we could be talking 10W5 to 10W8 for regular encounters, maybe up to 10W12 for Aroka - see p.200) or wanted to change the course of the River. Those are big numbers. So, for me, that works as one off big juju. (+ the community can try again with someone else even if that hero can't)

That may not suit the way you want to play it - so change it to fit how you feel it should be. We change it in different campaigns according to narrator preference.

As others have said the Pharoah is probably doing a practice quest/ritual so it is repeatable.

As for Harmast, he is probably just employing the fudge factor clause. The fudge factor clause? It is there on p.195. You can be the main character on a quest and still do that quest again if it is part of another quest. Harmast must have just done a fuller LBQ second time around ;-)