Re: Truestone speculation

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:33:10 -0400

In my game a player has a magic staff containing truestone. I gave it three abilities: Destroy Chaos, Disrupt Illusion, and Store Magic. These abilities started at 13 and can be bought up by the player. All the abilities are touch range only. The resistance for Store Magic is the rating of the spell being stored augmented by all the spells currently contianed within the item. The spells thus contained are one-use, but can be used by anyone regardless of concentration.

I realize that this interpretation is probably more liberal than the old RuneQuest spin on Truestone, but my game leans more to the "dramatic" than the "accurate". <laugh> If I come to regret this interpretation, then I will just say that the dramatic effects come from other magic on the staff rather than all of it coming from the truestone itself. That said, we haven't played with this yet (he just got the item) so I told the player that if the Store Magic ability turned out to be unbalancing, then I might impose a Difficult Magic penalty. We shall see what happens... :)

~Kevin McD