Re: Re: Where Does One Get the *Good* Common Magic?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:52:21 +0100

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 06:28:03PM -0000, drpachyderm wrote:
> > As has already been suggested: from the ancestors, from local (not
> > necessarily landscape per se) spirits/daimons/essenses, from your
> > family's, clan's or association's 'this is always the way things
> > around here have worked' magical practices.

> What is a "local daimon" in this sense?

Anything that's a) a daimon, and b) not so widely known as for 'local' not to apply. Are you looking simply for examples of such, or are you wanting specifically things that are exactly-like-landscape-deities-but- different?

> How is it different from the landscape deities and daimons described
> as giving localized feats?

Due to not being associated with specific pieces of topography, and not giving (necessarily) localised feats, I'd have thought.

> This is what's confusing me. Common Magic does come from this world.
> But it's useful. The chapter on daimons that come from this world
> though describes getting magic from them that's not as useful.

Only in the sense of being restricted as to localisation; the other differences you may (or may not) have been implying, see my previous message regarding.

> If I, as a narrator, want to put in a daimon as a source of common
> magic that can be used anywhere, how do I differentiate it from the
> daimons in the chapter that says their feats can only be used in their
> vicinity?

By making it something *other* than a landscape deity, or alternatively by ignoring/finessing those rules, if they seem to you to be Dumb, surely. (Note that even in this passage there's a remark or two that implies a certain 'flexibility' of interpretation, anyway.)

> Is the difference that one is part of a religion and one isn't? That
> one has been used for a long time that way and one hasn't?

I'd think those things could each be true or not true, for either, from case to case.

> I just don't see what the difference is between the two entities
> (aside from the efficacy of their provided magic).

I'm not sure what sort of difference you're looking for; as I understand it, one is an instance of the other. I don't think there's any necessary difference in efficacy: not all feats are equal or interchangeable in utilily, as has already been noted; both may have this or that type of restriction on how they're used, landscape beings merely happen to be (somewhat) more defined in this respect. Possibly over-defined, in the sense that they seem to be waxing somewhat simulationist, and may not be intended to be as narratively proscriptive as they may seem by some readings.

Cheers,
Alex.